MY ROOTS began as the first Ashoka Canada Youth Venture team, providing the organization with seed funding. MY ROOTS has also received numerous accolades including the Top 20 Under 20 award to its founder and the Louise Russo Violence Prevention Award given in recognition of youth who reduce violence in their communities through respect, responsibility, and leadership.
Reporting to the Managing Director, MY ROOTS volunteer community reporters will be a part of a dynamic team that is passionate about making a difference in the community as well as voicing the opinions of young leaders.
Volunteer Community Reporter Description:
MY ROOTS is looking for an inquisitive, enthusiastic, organized and determined writer interested in contributing articles to www.my-roots.ca or our printed publication. This is an opportunity to:
• Play an active role in your community and earn volunteer hours
• Get to your community better
• Meet interesting people who are committed to make change within the community
• Attend unique events happening around Toronto and interview young leders
• Master the skill of interviewing and build a portfolio of published work
• Receive mentorship and guidance from experienced writers and editors
• Gain the necessary skills to pursue further education or a career in writing, editing, communications, and journalism
• Meet and work with other young people wanting to make change in their community.
All writers will receive a $50.00 honorarium for a minimum of 3 contributions to the website or print publication of MY ROOTS.
• Write articles and stories about people living in Malvern and Scarborough doing exceptional and inspirational things.
• Cover events that would be interesting to young people in Scarborough.
• Interview people around the community for these stories.
• Work with the Managing Director of MY ROOTS twice a month to edit your work.
• Pitch story ideas quarterly to the Managing Director
It would also be an asset if you have experience using a digital camera and editing photographs.
Apply now by emailing a sample of your writing (an essay from school is fine!) along with a brief description about how you found out about MY ROOTS and why you want to be involved to Malvern.youth.roots [at] gmail [dot] com